Sunday, May 3, 2009

Winning


I won my first creative writing contest and it was exactly what I needed as a writer to stroke my writer's self esteem after receiving rejections from agents for the past couple years. The assignment was to read THE WOMEN by TC Boyle and write a 500 words or less possible dream one of the women may have dreamed. The kicker was that you had a week to read it and you had to read it to know where this dream might have happened. I took the challenge and even though I had only four days to read 405 pages and still work as a waitress and dish washer and everything else I have to do I did it and won the contest. Well, it was a tie. Two of us won first place. A writer from Germany and myself. We won signed books by TC Boyle and a review of our entry. The winners' entries and the reviews can be read at tcboyle.com. Winning isn't everything...but it sure can give a writing gal a new lease on her literary life.

No comments:

Post a Comment